It's game day, so we'll use this entry to post (and update you on SBXL happenings worth mentioning)...
• 6:50 p.m. - Rather fittingly, Jeremy Stevens gets his bell rung on Seattle's last gasp effort to overcome their 11 point deficit. Looks like Punxsutawney Phil was right
• 5:12 p.m. - Mick Jagger has a wardrobe malfunction at half time, when his face falls off.
• 4:35 p.m. - The NFL hands the Steelers 7 points, even though every person on the planet could see that Ben Roethlisberger never got the football anywhere near the goal line.
• 4:15 p.m. - Ben Roethlisberger commits the game's first turnover, by throwing an interception to Michael Boulware.
• 4:10 p.m. - Detroit's favorite son, Jerome Bettis, finally touches that ball three minutes into the 2nd quarter.
• 1:40 p.m. – The NFL has announced that neither team shall be permitted to cross their own 40 yard-line during warmups, with the exception of special teams players. Apparently the league is trying to keep the teams away from each other in lieu of all the Jeremy Steves - Joey Porter nonsense that has transpired this week.
• 12:20 p.m. – The US Calorie Control Council reports that American will consume 27 billion calories and 1.8 billion grams of fat during the big game today. On the menu -- 11.2 million pounds (five million kilograms) of potato chips (crisps), 8.2 million pounds (3.7 million kilograms) of tortilla chips and 4.3 million pounds (2.9 million kilograms) of pretzels. The average armchair quarterback will munch down 1,200 calories, and 50 grams of fat from snacks alone. This DOES NOT include caloric intake from beer, wine and soda.
• 12:02 p.m. – Still need tickets to the game and you're dumb enough to blow a months salary to go? Plenty remain in the $4000+ range at TicketsNow
. Who needs to eat for a month when you can go to the big game?
• 1:27 a.m. – Detroit officials are preparing for a forecast of 4 to 7 inches of snow on Sunday, which begs the question. Why on earth did the NFL decide to hold the Super Bowl in Detroit?
• 12:57 a.m. – Joey Porter has yet to “tap out” and Seahawks. It is of course still, 14 hours until game time.
• 12:24 a.m. – No Pittsburgh or Seattle player has been arrested or kicked off the team for binge drinking thus far.
• 12:01 a.m. - Kyle Smith, a 24 year-old woman from Detroit was shot and killed in a shooting after a “bumping incident” during SBXL festivities in downtown Detroit. An acquaintance of Smith’s was also shot, but was not killed. The lone slaying is far below the over/under of 64 set by bookmakers last week.